Plantain Porridge Recipe
Well, you guys already know about my love of plantains. So it should not even be a surprise that I really love this labouyi -Porridge.
The name is a combination of the wording : La and Bouyi : Bouyi meaning to be boiled or boiling. And in this context, La just means "the".!
Magic Bullet or Blender, pot
1 1/2 Green Plantains
4 cups of water
1/2 cup coconut milk
1/4 cup evaporated milk
1tsp vanilla extract
1 star anise
1 tsp cinnamon powder
1/4 cup brown Sugar
Start by thinking how you are going to enjoy your Labouyi!
- Peel the skin off the plantains and cut plantains into chunks
- Purée peeled plantains through a blender with 2 cups of water until smooth purée; set aside.
- In a pot, add the remaining cups water, coconut/evaporated milk, vanilla, cinnamon and star anise to the plantain mixture. Stir continuously
- Add sugar, salt, butter and continue stirring until everything is combined. Keep low heat while stirring vigorously and continuously for 10 mins to obtain that creamy texture.
- When serving, you may or not take out Anise star, or just discard.
Serving suggestion: *Best served hot* and add some cinnamon and sprinkle some brown sugar ! Makes a great breakfast option.
Tips : you may notice we use a lot of water, it keeps the porridge from hardening.